Sunday, June 21, 2009

Making Love, Sustainable

Making Love, Sustainable

In the sparse darkness of the night,
my features are frail ghosts
straining to break free.
Your eyes are the only focal point,
small winking stars
keeping me moving steady,
like a king on a great pilgrimage
I am coming to you.
I would gladly hide behind
a jeweled and feathered mask,
cover my insecurities with fancy linen
and line up for the waltz,
press palm to stranger’s palm
in a foreign country,
but my life isn’t meant
for such worldly scenes.
It is meant for you.
I would offer my heart
on a platter of silver,
my soul in a fancy bottle,
if I thought it would be enough.
You’ve been my life boat
when everything in my world
was nothing but a sinking cruise liner,
when my entire life
broke in half like the Titanic,
and I was left drowning in its wake.
You reached your hand into the deep,
glimmering oblivion of night,
searched through the debris,
and found me
like I was a newly minted pearl.
You shaped me, like clay,
hiding all my faults,
revealing all the beauty
trapped inside my tortured soul.
We are the pharaohs of affection,
an eternal pair of lovers
brought together across sky,
sea, earth, and time.
When all things come to an end,
you and I will float
like butterflies,
above the ruins of cities.

No comments: